Tuesday, October 14, 2008

He Pulled the Wool Over my Eyes... AGAIN!


I am talking about my 9 year old boy- Will. He is a riot, very funny, very smart, and very cute. However, Will is a smart ass. If you look up 'smart ass' in the dictionary, there is Will, smiling away. But the problem is, he isn't a smart ass in a fresh, mean-boy way. He's just funny, and wise and very quick with a come-back. I love that quality in a kid. I am not saying he gets away with misbehavior- he doesn't- but we may cut him some slack at times because the way he goes about his misbehavior is clever. He cracks me up.

Usually.

So, Will and Elisa attend the same elementary school. I was walking each of them into school every day, and after 2 months it got to be too much. See, I'm lazy- I don't like to have to get all gussied up in the morning like most of the other moms here on the ranch. Plus, I walk with Tracy most mornings, so what's the point? I guess I just decided that I could trust Will to make sure that Elisa got to her wing of the school, which is on the opposite side of the building as Will's classroom.

Turns out I was wrong.

If it were Jack, not only would he make sure Elisa got to her classroom, but he'd tidy up the entire room, organize it, and then read the entire Dr. Seuss library to the Kindergarteners. That is just how Jack rolls. I didn't expect Will to put himself out that much, but I did expect him to walk her to her class LIKE HE TOLD ME HE WAS DOING EVERY DAY.

Will is a very social kid- he likes to hang out with his friends before school in the reading room. When I thought he was walking Elisa to class, he was actually making a break for the reading room and leaving my 5 year old baby girl in the dust. I had no idea until this morning..

Will woke up with a really bad, excruciating pain in what I call his "full-o-crap", and like a fool, I bought in to his dramatics and let him stay home. I had to take Elisa to school, so I showered, cancelled my walk with Tracy, and drove her. I wanted to make sure that someone was there to walk her into her classroom just like every day, right? Apparently not. When we got into the school, Elisa looked at me and said " You can leave me right here where Will leaves me..." and I said " What?! We're in the lobby! He leaves you here?"

I had images of Will walking his little sister to her Kindergarten classroom, maybe with his arm around her shoulder, and a " Have a great day, Elisa!" as he delivered her safely to her teacher. Well, I was so wrong. He's abandoning her in the lobby and high-tailing it to the reading room... Tyler awaits...

Needless to say, I had words with Will and he said that he "watches her walk down the hall until she gets to her room". Yeah, sure. Then he promised me he'd never leave her in the lobby again.. I guess we'll have to see!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hahaha...stories about Will never cease to make me laugh! He was funny when he was 3 and I see he hasn't lost it. That is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Lesson learned...Will is sneaky and Elisa will never tattle on him. Good to know!